Technical Analysis

Sterling Climbs As U.K. Inflation Eases

    0
    Share on Facebook Share on Twitter


    It has been a busy week for the British pound. has climbed 0.66% today and is trading at 1.1566. This follows the pound’s huge decline on Tuesday, as the pummelled the major currencies after a weaker-than-expected inflation report shocked the financial markets.

    The U.S. dollar, which has looked mediocre recently, received a welcome shot in the arm after the July inflation report. The dollar steamrolled most of the majors after the inflation data, and GBP/USD declined by 1.62%. Investors were not pleased with the report, as equity markets slumped and the U.S. dollar rose sharply. Headline inflation dropped from 8.5% to 8.3%, but missed the consensus of 8.1%. rose to 6.3%, up from 5.9% and above the forecast of 6.1%.

    The markets had priced in a 75bp increase in September followed by 50bp in November and 25bp in December. However, with inflation higher than expected, the Fed may need to remain more aggressive than expected. Market pricing for the September meeting is fluctuating – currently, there is a 68% chance of a 75bp move and a 32% likelihood of a massive 100bp increase. Just a few days ago, a “modest” 50bp hike was a strong possibility, but it is apparently off the table after the inflation report.

    U.K. Inflation Dips Below 10%

    U.K. inflation eased slightly in August to 9.9%, down from the 40-year high of 10.1% in July and a notch lower than the 10.0% estimate. The drop in headline reading was due to a decline in fuel prices. Core inflation rose to 6.3%, up from 6.2% prior. Inflation remains very high and the markets are expecting the Bank of England to come out swinging with a 75bp increase at the Sept. 22 meeting, just a day after the Federal Reserve meets. The BoE has projected that inflation will not peak before hitting 13%, which means that the new Truss government has its work cut out as it grapples with the severe cost of living crisis in the U.K.

    GBP/USD Technical

    GBP/USD is testing resistance at 1.1548. Above, there is resistance at 1.1689
    There is support at 1.1417 and 1.1306

    GBP/USD Daily Chart.

    This article is for general information purposes only. It is not investment advice or a solution to buy or sell securities. Opinions are the authors; not necessarily that of OANDA Corporation or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, officers or directors. Leveraged trading is high risk and not suitable for all. You could lose all of your deposited funds.



    Originally Published Here -Source link

    0 0 votes
    Article Rating

    4 big factors impacting markets and the economy right now

    Previous article

    Biden announces first round of funding for EV charging network across 35 states

    Next article

    You may also like

    Subscribe
    Notify of
    guest
    0 Comments
    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments